Our New Arrival

Kasen Michael Bullock was born on Sunday, July 13, 2008 at 2:29am. He was 7lbs 14oz and 22in long.
I had planned the whole pregnancy to go "all natural" and was going to use the Bradley method. I started labor at 6:22 am on Saturday the 12. We stayed home until around 9pm that night hoping that we would get to the hospital and not have a whole lot longer before our son would grace us with his presence. My contractions were 2 minutes apart and lasting 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes. After we got all settled in the nurse checked me and I was only 1 centimeter dilated and not even completely efaced. At that point I didn't think he was ever going to come. I had monitors on to keep track of his heart rate. After awhile the nurse came in and had me drink some juice because his heart rate had not increased at all. It is supposed to peak ever so often and his had yet to do that. After the juice it did start to increase a little. As the evening progressed his heart rate began to drop. They tried switching my position trying to get it to go back up and stay up but it didn't seem to help. At that point they said that if they couldn't get it to go up and stay up they were going to have to do a c-section. They gave me an epidural and put monitors on his head and chest. To do so they had needed to break my water and when they did they said that he had already had his first bowel movement which meant that they would have to have a respritory therapist when he was born that make sure that they were able to suck all of the fluid out of his mouth and nose. They continued to monitor me with no success of getting his heart rate to stay up. It started to fall into the 70's. They gave me a shot to stop my contractions hoping that it would relieve some of the stress and also put me on oxygen. After awhile they came in and said that they were going to do a c-section. I was wheeled away into a OR with Michael. He was able to watch the whole thing, (which is something that I couldn't ever have done).
It was a rough labor, but I would go through it 10 times over just to get him here. He is already the light of my life!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home